AKC S.T.A.R. Certified Puppy Training
Leaps N’ Hounds is proud to offer AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy training and certification to help all of our puppies build a happy, confident, social, and mannerly training foundation.
S.T.A.R. Stands For:
The certification consists of 20 steps to success:
- Maintains puppy’s health (vaccines, exams, appears healthy)
- Owner receives Responsible Dog Owner’s Pledge
- Owner describes adequate daily play and exercise plan
- Owner and puppy attend at least 6 classes by an AKC Approved CGC Evaluator
- Owner brings bags to classes for cleaning up after puppy
- Owner has obtained some form of ID for puppy-collar tag, etc.
- Free of aggression toward people during at least 6 weeks of class
- Free of aggression toward other puppies in class
- Tolerates collar or body harness of owner’s choice
- Owner can hug or hold puppy (depending on size)
- Puppy allows owner to take away a treat or toy
- Allows (in any position) petting by a person other than the owner
- Grooming-Allows owner handling and brief exam (ears, feet)
- Walks on a Leash-Follows owner on lead in a straight line (15 steps)
- Walks by other people-Walks on leash past other people 5-ft away
- Sits on command-Owner may use a food lure
- Down on command-Owner may use a food lure
- Comes to owner from 5-ft when name is called
- Reaction to Distractions-distractions are presented 15-ft away
- Stay on leash with another person (owner walks 10 steps and returns)
How does the training work?
This isn’t your average puppy class. Training for the certification is fun and flexible with Leaps N’ Hounds’ mobile training.
In order to make sure your dog’s training conveys from class to real life, we do things a little differently around here. We like to meet out at the park, at the vet, and in stores and cafes where your dog will truly learn and adapt around life’s REAL distractions. Avoid raising the dog that only behaves it in class. Train in public where it matters most! We’ve adapted the S.T.A.R. curriculum to do exactly that.
- 1 Dog: Request this class as an individual and your trainer will select locations and times with you that will work with your busy schedule. We’ll meet once a week for 30 minutes, following the S.T.A.R. curriculum. The class includes your certification test which will occur on the last day of the course. ($320)
- 2+ Dogs: Book this class with your puppy and up to 3 other friends with puppies and enjoy a lower cost for the class. Train with your friends and set your schedule! 60 minutes for classes with 2 or more pups. ($225 p/dog)
To book the course with our certified trainers, email Office@LeapsNHounds.com or submit a request.
Need more help?
Potty training woes?
Or maybe you don’t care for classes and certifications.
No problem! For more complex behavior challenges or custom training, we recommend private lessons in your home. Nothing beats resolving the issue where it’s happening, and working one-on-one with a trainer means faster results while working within your schedule.
Learn more about your private training options here.