FREE Training at Oak View Park!
Join us every 1st Sunday of the month to bond and learn with your best friend. Not sure about training? Want to get to know your trainer before investing in classes or private lessons? Just want to get out and do something fun with your dog? You’re in the right place! These dog training classes are super fun, full of helpful information, and entirely FREE to the community!
Dates and Class Info:
- 1/8/2017 10am: Canceled due to freezing weather
- 2/5/2017 10am: Training Fundamentals
- Leash handling
- Intro to teaching manners
- Effective communication
- 3/5/2017 10am: TBD
- 4/5/2017 10am: TBD
Location: Oak View Park
Meet behind the kid’s playground near the tennis courts. Park across from Buckthorn Dr. and follow the trail back to the park behind the trees.
- Registration a minimum of 24 hours in advance. Space is limited. Please only register if you truly plan to attend.
- Vaccinated dogs in good health only.
- Puppies and dogs 4 months and older.
- Dog and Human-Friendly dogs only.
- All breeds and sizes are welcome.
- 1 handler per dog.
- Well-behaved kids are welcome. There’s also a playground nearby.
- 1 dog per handler please.
The following are not permitted in class:
- Females in heat
- Retractable leashes
- Poorly fitted collars, harnesses, leashes
- Nose-to-nose dog contact (please keep your dogs separated at least 10 feet apart and on leash)
- Children must NOT be allowed to approach dogs that they do not know.
Classes will be cancelled in cases of heavy rain or extreme cold. All students must register in advance of attending and will be notified via email in cases of cancellation. Please dress appropriately and wear closed toe shoes, clothing that you can be active in, and bring a sweater or jacket for your dog if they are sensitive to cold weather (dogs get cold too!)
About the Trainer
Crystal Dunn has trained professionally for ten years, starting Leaps N’ Hounds in 2008 to give students a more customized and supportive training experience. Leaps N’ Hounds now offers an experienced training team of certified professionals, a full class program at our training center at Yard Bar, and extensive private training on location. Crystal CPDT-KA certified, a Canine Good Citizen Evaluator, and therapy dog evaluator. She serves as the Training Director behind the scenes at Leaps N’ Hounds, but you’ll often find her out working with clients with her canine co-trainer, Jack, or her trusty fake dog assistant “Linda Aladdin” (named by her 4 year-old daughter).
Crystal also writes for the Leaps N’ Hounds blog. Her articles have been published and shared on Buzzfeed and Amy Poehler’s Smart Girls. She often shares her more personal thoughts on dogs, covering far more than just training advice. Crystal has also been featured in Austin Woman Magazine. She works as a consultant for various dog-friendly companies in Austin, serves on the board for Love-A-Bull.org, and runs the award winning Pit Crew therapy dog program. You can check out some of her production work with iFetch here.